Sunday, March 11, 2007

An old friend.

I first knew him about 10 years ago. Was looking for one bad and really mean boss. Why? That is another story. Remind me to write about it.

For about half a year he became my boss. I was supposedly be working for him for 3 months. Somehow, he extended my contract. The job was similar to an odd job labourer. I did everything.

Driver, bodyguard, runner, lecturer, office boy, technician etc. That was the time, I began to rub shoulders with the Datos and Tan Sris. That again is another story.

So my ex boss retired about 5 years ago. I see or called him every now and then. Somehow, with my new job for the last two years, I lost contact with him. Last week as I was going thru my phone name list, I saw his name. Pushed the button, just to check if the number was still active......

Him: Hello! Wa long time you have not called me.....
Me : Hi.. sorry la, have been busy with the new job ....
Him: So when can we meet.... it is definitely have been very long...
Me : Sure, I have not met you for quiet some times....

And we talk about some old stuff. He still sounds the same..... I hanged up promising to meet him soon.

However, the next day he called..... He sounds different.

Him: Hello DG, you know, as a pensioner, life is so lonely??.....
Me: Hey, I would pay a lot to be one (Jokingly).....
Him: It is killing me.... I feel so damn lonely....

And we talked some more. Again I promised to see him soon.

Yup, the next day he called me again...... so I made an appointment to see him that day. It was last Wednesday. He does sounds weird.

At the arranged time I was at the promised place. From far I looked at him. Oh my God, he is so thin. Not the same man I last saw about two years ago.

I called out to him, and he still recognised me. He told me I have grown on the waistline. We went to a nearby coffee shop. I ordered the drinks, and we sat. Politely I asked him, why he lost so much weight? He told me, for the past few months he couldn't eat.

He told me he was so lonely. I asked about his wife, and then his kids. He told me all of them are ok. I was about to asked him, why is he lonely..... when I saw him in a trance like mode. I called him.... about 6 times. I called him slowly, sensing something was not right. His eyes was filled with tears, and he was in a trance like motion for about 5 minutes.......

Then suddenly, he snapped out from whatever mode he was in. He asked me, if I called him that day. I reminded him, that he called me. Then he apologise to me, saying that he cannot remember why I am there to meet him. He said, he thought I am a taxi driver having conversation with him. Then he repeated what ever he said for more than 5 times.....

He kept on how lonely it is being a pensioner. I kept telling him, to keep on reading. Read whatever, newspaper, books anything. I remembered the mind (brain) if kept idle too long, it does wanders off on its own.... I forgot what was the scientific phrase....

We part about an hour later. All along, he was repeating, whatever he said, as though he has not said it before, whereas, he just said it a few minutes earlier.

The next day, he called me again. He told me how he really appreciate me visiting him. He told me, it is good if I can visit him in another 3 or 4 months. I told him, I will. I told myself to visit him earlier. As early as possible.

In that conversation, he told me. I am his only friend. It seems none of his friends called or visited him after his pension. He is an old friend. A lonely old friend. Within my limits, I will be there as a friend... a true friend.

Not a friend only when he was in power. But a true friend when one is reaching the end of one's journey. InsyAllah, let us all be friends till forever........

10 comments:

Apples said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Apples said...

Hey uncle, apples here...I don't use blogger account anymore so looks like I'll just go by the initial p. Welcome back to blogsphere:)....ok maybe you had this blog up not so long ago..

Dade Ghost said...

Hi Nur, u have not given me your blog address yet! I am happy one by one my old friend is coming back to see me... hehehe....

Apples said...

Heh well you've just popped by ma blog:)

Uncle change the pix..so scary la..

Nour said...

Is he suffering from Alzheimer?? Pretty sad eh when someone so powerful and successful ends up being all lonely. Hopefully you can keep him occupied when you are free. Sometimes when one takes to many medication one tend to forget things as well..i hope he will be fine!

JIE said...

I wonder what really goes on in his mind. Loneliness at the golden age is really sad, and the worst kind is when you have people around you but nobody gives you any attention, so u feel lonely inside, kesian...

Dade Ghost said...

Nur dont want to change the avatar... it is meant to be scary... hehehe... I think u should know me better by now.

Nour, I think he is suffering from Alzheimer(berbelit lidah nak pronounce). I think he also lost his confidence....

Jie, what I did not write in the post, was that he became a more religious and pious person, spending a lot of his time in the mosque. AlhamduLillah.

Apples said...

Ok heh, you don't scare me though :P

This man you're writing about spends most of his golden age in the mosque? That's a really good sign!Alhamdulillah...may uncle macam tu jugak ;)

Dade Ghost said...

Nur, Alhamdulillah. It is everyone's dream to be in the right path, especially in our golden years.

But then again, we must beware.... for the devil has still to do his job...

Apples said...

Will keep that in mind..


Origin